Blue Bitossi Cat, Flavia Montelupo, Italy
- Beautiful Bitossi cat in radiant Rimini blue
- From Bitossi's ceramic workshop in Montelupo near Florence
- Designer: Aldo Londi
- From the 60s
- Material: ceramic
- Two-sided: face and pattern on both sides
- "Flavia Montelupo Italy" on the underside
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 19 x 11 x 4 cm
- Condition: very good - only tiny chip on one tip of the ear (see picture), which is not very noticeable
- Coveted and very rare lover art object!
A descendant of a long, long line of Tuscan ceramics manufacturers, Guido Bitossi opened his own ceramics workshop in Montelupo near Florence in 1921. Originally called "Manifattura Ceramica Cav. Guido Bitossi & Figli" (Ceramics Manufactory Guido Bitossi & Sons), the name was later shortened to "Bitossi Ceramiche".
After the Second World War, master ceramist Aldo Londi (1911 - 2003) became Bitossi Ceramiche's creative director and remained in this position for more than fifty years. Londi, who himself was also from Montelupo, began working in ceramics at the age of eleven and brought with him extensive experience in traditional ceramic production. His Rimini Blu collection (1955 - 1965) is his most famous work. This iconic mid-century modern series includes more than 150 designs, including bowls, vases, jugs, and animal figurines, all in vibrant blue and characterized by abstract motifs and shapes. In 1955, Londi created the first piece in the series, the Ball Vase. Shortly after, in 1959, he went on to create more pieces in the peculiar colorful glow. This collection is historically important because it helped handcrafted and expressive pieces enter the modernist design discourse in Italy. Although blue was not the only color Bitossi favored, it became closely associated with the brand identity. The collection is still produced and collected by ceramic lovers today.
This item is one of our UniCats which we have in stock only once. In this special category, you can discover used and unique finds that we've spotted at flea markets and marketplaces with detective eyes.
Good to Know
- Free shipping within Germany from 30 EUR!
- We dispatch our orders within 1-2 working days. Delivery within the EU usually takes 5-8 working days.*
- Do you have any questions? Click here for the FAQ or go to shipping conditions.
* In rare cases, the delivery for shipments to the EU can take up to four weeks.
- Lovingly designed calendar 2022 with various cat illustrations
- 13 sheets, fixed with a black document clip
- Printed on high quality and very strong paper, so you can lean the pages against the wall for example
- Paper quality: 300g/m², cream-colored, FSC-certified, wood-free, acid-free and aging-resistant
- Format: A5 (14,8 x 21 cm)
- Pleasant feel due to high volume
- Super practical: When the month is over, you can simply cut off the cat picture and send it as a postcard or frame it.
Still looking for a Christmas gift? Surprise your cat-crazy friends with a special handmade cat calendar! The great thing: The calendar does not just end up in the trash can later. The designs can simply be cut off and used as a beautiful wall decoration or as a postcard for even more joy.
Katja Rub created the original illustrations with scraped cardboard. This involves scratching away the top layer of a coated cardboard. She then scanned them in and reworked them on the computer.